The Cathedral, Nave
Photographer: Brothers, Alfred
Medium: Photographic print
In his book 'Manchester As It Is' James Croston outlines what is known of the introduction of Christianity into Manchester and describes much rebuilding on the site of the Cathedral since August 1847 when it first became the seat of a Bishop.
Of the view shown he remarks, "The fabric stands on slightly-elevated ground, overlooking the river Irwell, and is an excellent specimen of Pointed Gothic architecture of the Perpendicular period, comprising a nave and choir, each with side aisles, lady chapel, tower, chapter-house, and south porch. The choir contains some remarkably fine examples of carved tabernacle-work, and there are many other architectural details specially worthy of the atttention of the archaeologist; but with all its beauties, it must be confessed that it still possesses more the character of a parish church than that of the cathedral of a large and wealthy diocese."