The Free Public Library, Old Town Hall
Photographer: Brothers, Alfred
Medium: Photographic print
"The old Town Hall, now the home of the Reference department of the Free Public Libraries, was erected half a century ago for the Commissioners of Police, the governing authority prior to the incorporation of the borough in 1838, and continued the seat of municipal administration until the several departments of the Corporation were transferred to the new and more commodious structure in Albert-square. The building which is situated in King-street...was designed by Mr. Francis Goodwin, the style of architecture being Grecian-Ionic...It was vacuated by City Council in 1877...and on the 25th April the Council authorized its ocupation as a Reference Library."
Text by James Croston.