The Royal Infirmary
Photographer: Brothers, Alfred
Medium: Photographic print
The principal front of the Royal Infirmary in Manchester "was completed in 1854. Though erected at various times, the building presents a harmonious and fairly satisfactory plan; it is in the Grecian style of architecture, and forms three sides of a quadrangle, each facade being adorned with a portico, supported by Ionic fluted columns, the principal one being towards Piccadilly, over which is a dome or cupola, with four clock-dials. On the esplanade in front are two memorial statues in bronze, one, at the Mosley-street end, of the late Sir Robert Peel, flanked by two colossal figures, representing Commerce and Manufacture, and Art and Science, the work of W. Calder Marshall, A.R.A., and the other at the opposite end, by Noble, of the Duke of Wellington, surrounded by four emblematic figures, representing Wisdom, Valour, Victory, and Peace. In addition, there are two smaller statues in sitting postures, one a bronze copy of Chantrey's statue of Dr. Dalton, the author of the atomic theory, and the other, by Theed, of James Watt, the celebrated engineer."
Text by James Croston from his book 'Manchester As It Is'.