The Four Courts
Photographer: Mares, Frederick H
Medium: Photographic print
"One of the largest and noblest of our public buildings, containing all the principal Law and Equity Courts, with the various offices therewith connected, is situated on the north bank of the Liffey. The foundation stone was laid on the 13th of March, 1786. It's river front is 450 feet in length, occupying nearly the entire space between the Whitworth and Richmond Bridges...It consists of a centre, at each side of which are squares containing the law offices; these squares are separated from the street by arcade screens of rusticated masonry, surmounted by a handsome stone balustrade, and the entrance to each courtyard is through a large archway...
The front of the central pile consists of a handsome portico of six Corinthian columns, with pilasters, supporting a magnificent and well-proportioned pediment, having on its apex a statue of Moses, on one side of which is a figure of Justice, and on the other one of Mercy. At each extremity of the front, and over the coupled pilasters, are statues in a sitting posture - one of Wisdom, the other of Authority.
Above the central building rises a circular lantern, of the same diameter as the hall, ornamented by twenty-four pillars, and lighted by twelve large windows. An entablature is carried round the summit of the lantern, and on this appears to rest a magnificent dome."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of Dublin'.