The Viceregal Lodge
Photographer: Mares, Frederick H
Medium: Photographic print
"The beautiful Phoenix Park is situated on the western side of Dublin; it comprises and area of 1,760 acres, and is about seven miles in circumference...
The Viceregal Lodge, the summer residence of the Lord Lieutenant during his stay in Ireland, is situated in this Park. It is rather a plain building, viewed from any point, though the original structure, which was purchased by Government from the Earl of Leitrim in 1784, has been added to and beautified from time to time by various lords lieutenant...
In addition to the Viceregal, Chief and Under-Secretaries' lodges, with the demesnes attached, containing respectively 200, 70, and 50 acres, the park contains the Royal Military Hospital; the Constabulary Barrack (being the head-quarters for Ireland); the Zoological Garden; the Hibernian Military School, for maintaining, educating, and apprenticing the orphans and children of soldiers, with chapel and farm attached. The military reviews are also held in the park, and the garrison races and cricket matches come off here."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of Dublin' by F H Mares