The Exhibition Palace, Winter Garden Palace
Photographer: Mares, Frederick H
Medium: Photographic print
"This superb structure is at once a great ornament to the Irish metropolis, and a source of healthful and rational pastime to its inhabitants. It owes its origin to the Winter Garden Company, and was inaugurated with a great International Exhibition in 1865. The building stands upon a site of about fifteen statute acres, formerly known as the Coburg Gardens. The pirncipal entrance is on the east side, exactly facing Earlsfort-terrace, through six pairs of iron gates, which form a portion of the enclosure wall and chain railing. In the centre of the east face is a magnificent portico, above which are raised three finely executed gigantic stone figures emblematic of Erin, Industry, and Art...At the western extremity of the Central Hall we enter the 'Winter Garden' - the 'Crystal' part of this palatial edifice. This garden, composed entirely of glass and iron, is about five hundred feet in length, having galleries or corridors running along each of its four sides. Within is a large collection of valuable exotic and other plants, tastefully disposed and diversified with fountains, statues, and aviaries. In the centre of the transept, at the western end, a platform is raised for the accommodation of a military band, generally drawn from one of the regiments quartered in or near Dublin; and on either side of the garden are stalls representing various trades and manufactures, some of which are elegant in their structure and arrangement."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of Dublin' by F H Mares