The Choir Looking East, Into And Through The Presbytery, AD 1178 And AD 1179
Medium: Photographic print
Interior of the choir and presbytery, Canterbury Cathedral. The cathedral was founded in 597 by Saint Augustine and rebuilt in the Romanesque style by its Norman Archbishop Lanfranc. In 1174 a fire destroyed much of choir, but during its subsequent reconstruction the outer walls of the choir aisles retained much that is early 12th century undamaged. Architects William of Sens and William the Englishman were responsible for the late 12th century rebuilding and eastward extension of the choir.