The Corona, AD 1184, From Becket's Shrine
Medium: Photographic print
View of the Corona, a small chapel of circular plan, at Canterbury Cathedral, showing the large space allowed for windows. The cathedral was founded in 597 by Saint Augustine and rebuilt in the Romanesque style by its Norman Archbishop Lanfranc. In 1174 a fire gutted the choir. French architect William of Sens began reconstruction work on the choir and its extension eastwards to the Trinity Chapel and Corona in an early Gothic style. The work of William of Sens was completed by William the Englishman. A "lightness of style is carried ...in the corona, where the slender shafts are carried round the walls, and made principal supports to the pier-arches, over which is placed a light triforium and a clerestory; and it must be remarked that all the arches in this part of the building are of a single order of moldings, instead of two orders as in the pier-arches and triforium of the choir."
Text by the Rev. Robert Willis