Trongate From Tron Steeple, 1868
Photographer: Thomas Annan (1829 - 1887)
Medium: Photographic print
Annan was commissioned by The City Improvement Trust to document the city's slums before urban renewal plans improved living conditions in the old part of the city. The Tolbooth Steeple, topped by a clock and stone crown, survived plans for demolition as well as the equestrian "...statue, erected in 1735 in honour of King William III. After the completion of the Cross Station of the Caledonian Railway the statue was, in 1898, removed from its original site and re-erected at the western extremity of the station railings." Extract from William Young's introduction to the book 'The Old Closes And Streets Of Glasgow'.