Tontine Building, Trongate, 1868
Photographer: Thomas Annan (1829 - 1887)
Medium: Photographic print
Glasgow's Tontine Buildings originally contained the Town Hall or Council Chamber. Later they included the Assembly Room, the Tontine News Room, the Tontine Coffee Room and the Tontine Inn or Hotel, one of the chief posting houses in the city.
Fronting the Tontine piazza is an equestrian "...statue, erected in 1735 in honour of King William III. After the completion of the Cross Station of the Caledonian Railway the statue was, in 1898, removed from its original site and re-erected at the western extremity of the station railings."
Extract from William Young's introduction to the book 'The Old Closes And Streets Of Glasgow'.