The Old Trent Bridge, Nottingham 1
Writer: Tarbotton, Marriott Ogle (1835 - 1887)
Medium: Photographic print
"The foundations of the Old Bridge are formed of oak piles, which are driven into the gravel-bed of the river...The materials of the Bridge are bricks and stone - the former have been of a very durable and superior quality. The stone of the older parts of the work has been obtained from the local Keuper beds of the new red sandstone, and that of the modern parts from the millstone grit of Derbyshire. In this Bridge is proved the complete durability of the local beds of sandstone, which now are very little used, and also the suitability of Derbyshire grit for similar purposes. The masonry of the piers and arches is very much shaken in various places, the result of floods and subsidence, and the face-walls and arches are tied and bonded together to a great extent with iron."
The New Trent Bridge, to the right of the photograph, was designed and erected by Marriott Ogle Tarbotton who held office as Nottingham's Borough Engineer from 1859 to 1880.
"The demolition of the Old Bridge was commenced in October 1871, and before the close of the year a considerable portion of it had been removed."
Text by Marriott Ogle Tarbotton from the book 'History of the Old Trent Bridge'