The Old Trent Bridge, Nottingham 12
Writer: Tarbotton, Marriott Ogle (1835 - 1887)
Medium: Photographic print
The southernmost or seventeenth arch of the Old Trent Bridge in Nottingham is built from stone and corresponds with the time at which Henry II rebuilt the wall around the town. "From the form, character, and construction of the old arches there can be no difficulty in ascribing to them the date of the transitional period, between the Norman and Early English, or the middle of the twelfth century."
The New Trent Bridge was designed and erected by Marriott Ogle Tarbotton who held office as Nottingham's Borough Engineer from 1859 to 1880. It was decided to retain the two southernmost arches "but to take down the brick parapets, and plant the old stonework with shrubs, and leave it as a specimen of Early English Bridge construction."
"The demolition of the Old Bridge was commenced in October 1871, and before the close of the year a considerable portion of it had been removed."
Text by Marriott Ogle Tarbotton from the book 'History of the Old Trent Bridge'