Tomb, St Mary's Chapel, Rothesay 32
Photographer: Annan, Thomas
Medium: Photographic print
"Within the chapel of St Mary of Rothesay, adjoining the Parish Church (supposed to have been erected towards the close of the thirteenth century, and of which a portion of the walls only now stands, the nave having been taken down in 1692, when a new church was built with the materials) there exists two monumental figures recumbent - the one, of a knight in full armour; the other, of a female evidently of high rank, and child. Regarding the latter monument, there appears to be no trace of who the lady was that is thereby commemorated."
Text from the book 'History of the County of Bute' by John Eaton Reid