The South Water Tower
Photographer: Delamotte, Philip Henry (1820 - 1889)
Medium: Photographic print
Construction of one of the great water towers which supply water to the many fountains in the grounds of Crystal Palace in Sydenham Hill. After housing the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park, the Crystal Palace was dismantled and rebuilt in south-east London. The first column was raised on 5 August 1852 and the palace was opened by Queen Victoria on 10 June 1854. P H Delamotte was commissioned to document its reconstruction from 1852 to 1854 for the Crystal Palace Art Union.