Photographer: Harrington, John
Medium: Photographic print
View of the reredos behind the High Altar in the heart of Westminster Abbey.
"This splendid work, by Mr. Gilbert Scott, took the place, in 1867, of the plaster restoration of the original screen by Bernasconi, which in its turn took the place, in 1824, of the altar piece of Queen Anne. The present altar, which is of good dimensions, consists of a black marble mensa or slab, supported on cedar of Lebanon."
Westminster Abbey was founded by Edward the Confessor and was consecrated in AD1065. It was rebuilt in the 13th century in the French gothic style, with a nave of great height, flying buttresses and rose windows. The monastery was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1540 and the abbey became the cathedral of the new diocese of Westminster. Most British monarchs are buried here and it has been the crowning place for all sovereigns since the 11th century.
Descriptive letterpress by John Harrington of Brighton from the book 'The Abbey and Palace of Westminster'