Photographer: Brothers, Alfred
Medium: Photographic print
"Victoria Bridge, which connects Manchester with the neighbouring borough of Salford, occupies the site of the Old, or Salford Bridge, an ancient structure of three arches built in the reign of Edward III at the expense of Thomas del Bothe, a wealthy yeoman descended from the Booths of Barton, in Eccles parish. The first stone of the new erection was laid 31st March, 1838, by the late Sir (then Mr.) Elkanah Armitage, Boroughreeve of Salford, the last keystone was placed in its position by Sir Humphrey Trafford on the 23rd March, 1839, and it was formally opened on the 20th June of the same year...The structure...has a single arch of 100 feet span, with a rise of 22 feet, the roadway, from parapet to parapet, being 45 feet. The battlements are 4 feet 9 inches high, and on the centre of each is placed a large stone orb, an addition the elegance of which is more than questionable."
Text by James Croston from his book 'Manchester As It Is'.