View From Drawing-Room Window, Lismore Castle
Photographer: Hemphill, William Despard
Medium: Photographic print
View from Lismore Castle, County Waterford, "a romantic glen, with sloping woods at either side, with a little river called 'Oun-a-Shead,' or Stream of the Fairies, running through it, terminates in the vast cone of Knockmeledown Mountain, 2,700 feet above sea level, and four miles distant."
Lismore Castle "was originally built on the site of the Abbey of St. Carthage by King John, when Earl of Moreton, in 1185...It became for ages the residence of the bishops of the see, until Miler Magrath, Archbishop of Cashel and Bishop of Lismore, before his resignation in 1589, granted it to Sir Walter Raleigh...From Sir Walter Raleigh it was purchased by Sir Richard Boyle, afterwards Earl of Cork, who added much to its beauty...From the Earls of Cork and Burlington it descended to the Dukes of Devonshire.
Extracts from William Hemphill's book 'Stereoscopic Illustrations of Clonmel'.