York Minster, The West Front
Photographer: Wilson, George Washington
Medium: Photographic print
"The Cathedral Church of St. Peter at York, according to an ancient tradition, stands on the site of a Roman temple of Bellona. Since the erection of the first structure, about the year 630, several have existed, but have been destroyed by fire. The present magnificent pile may date its commencement from 1227, when Archbishop Walter de Grey erected the south transept. Looking at it from the west, its appearance is gorgeously grand. In its two west towers, in its great west window, and in its whole west front, is a display of sculptured ornament, so rich in appearance and elegant in design as is scarcely equalled in the United Kingdom."
Descriptive letterpress from the book 'Photographs of English and Scottish Scenery' by G W Wilson