Advert for George Sanger's amphitheatre
Medium: Print on paper
This poster is advertising George Sanger's Amphitheatre. George & John Sanger were assistants in their Father’s travelling circus and when he died they took it over. They started as a small circus but as their reputations grew so did the circus, and in 1871 George set up by himself having purchased Astley’s Amphitheatre in Westminster Bridge Road. He put on spectacular shows and pantomimes and arranged for there to be seating for about 4,000 spectators. The theatre was advertised as having Royal patronage and Mr Spanger modeled himself as ‘Lord Spanger’. The amphitheatre eventually closed in 1893.