Advert for Alexandra Palace 1382
Medium: Print on paper
Alexandra Palace first opened in 1873 to provide the Victorians with an entertainment and recreation centre. It was set in 196 acres of parkland, with spectacular views over the Capital, and as many as 124,000 people visited during the first week. Disastrously, the palace caught fire and was burnt down after only seven days. At a cost of £417,128 a new Palace was built and opened on 1st May 1875. The building included a ‘Great Hall’, which seated 12,000 people, as well as displays of paintings and sculptures, exhibitions, a museum, lecture hall and library, banqueting rooms, a concert room that was subsequently turned into a roller skating rink and a theatre. The Park had a racetrack, cricket ground, ornamental lakes, and a permanent funfair.