Advert for Wright & Butler's duplex burners, reverse side
Wright and Butler started their business in 1866 in Birmingham. Having patented many lamps and burners, they expanded quickly, opening their first offices in London in 1870. Their lamps burnt Benzoline rather than the more usual Colza oil; the flow of oil to the wick in there lamps was controlled by a valve. These lamps remained popular until the introduction of paraffin in 1878. Made from petroleum, paraffin was the ideal fuel: it was much lighter and not as sticky as Benzoline. Therefore it was much more easily drawn up the wick from the barrel.