Advert for Sanger's Grand National Amphitheatre
Medium: Print on paper
Formerly the Astey Theatre, the Grand National Amphitheatre reopened under the management of George Sanger in 1871. A flamboyant character, famous for his ostentatious dress and his insistence on being referred to as "Lord George", Sanger was one of 19th-century Britain's most successful circus entrepreneurs. Indeed, he is popularly thought to be the inventor of the familiar three-ring circus, which caters for audiences in the round.
Sanger completely redesigned this theatre, extending its capacity to some 4,000 seats. The programme was dominated by pantomimes, and because of this it did particularly good business around the Christmas holidays. The venue was converted into a music hall in 1893.