Advert for the Metropolitan Tabernacle in Newington
Printer: Wayre, W
Medium: Print on paper
Charles Haddon Spurgeon was the pastor of the Baptist chapel in New Park Street, London. A charismatic orator, his sermons were so popular that the chapel could not contain all the people who wanted to listen to him. After a few years based at the Surrey Gardens Music Hall, he commissioned the Metropolitan Tabernacle building in Newington Butts (now known as Elephant and Castle) in 1859. The hall cost £31,000 to build and with a capacity of 5,000, it was the largest non-conformist church building in the world.
It was substantially burnt down in 1898 and quickly rebuilt. It was destroyed again in an airraid of 1941. A third building was constructed after the second World War and still stands today.