Advert for Wesleyan Day Schools
Medium: Print on paper
In the late 18th century, Methodist missionaries John Wesley and George Whitefield returned to England from America and built a chapel in Bristol. They travelled the country giving sermons on the virtue of hard work and abstinence, visiting the poor and encouraging people to turn to God. By the time of Wesley's death in 1791, the church had about 76,000 members nationally.
In the 1840s the Wesleyan Methodists started a programme of chapel and school building and membership increased to over 285,000.