Advert for the Grosvenor Buildings in Poplar
Medium: Print on paper
The rapid growth of industry in the 19th century created a great demand for housing in towns and cities. The Grosvenor flats on Mainsty Street in Poplar were built in 1885. Two-hundred old and insanitary buildings - including a farmhouse on Robin Hood Lane - were demolished by the Metropolitan Board of Works to make way for the 500 flats, which had one to four rooms. Each flat was fitted with an inside toilet and piped running water. In 1964 the Robin Hood Gardens housing estate was built on this site.