Advert for Thuiller's spiral fire escape, reverse side
Printer: Wastnage, Percy W
Medium: Print on paper
Fire was an ever-present danger for the Victorians. Large houses had fireplace in every room; candles were still the main means of illumination in upstairs rooms; passageways and corridors were narrow and long; and there were few, if any, emergency escape routes. With only a limited, voluntary fire brigade in operation in towns and cities of the time, the alarm was often raised too late to save the house or the people inside. Having a device like Thuillier’s spiral fire escape fitted to the house would have reassured many and saved lives.