Advertisement for D Nicholson & Co, drapers
Printer: Unwin Brothers
Medium: Print on paper
The first wholesale mantle manufactory, owned by Mr D Nicholson, was opened in 1837 in King William Street, London. In 1843, Nicholson and his brother opened the wholesale drapery establishment in St Paul's Churchyard featured in this advertisement. Their store was frequented by wealthy and fashionable members of society, becaming one of the most important drapery establishments in the City. The brothers successfully opened a chain of stores, which was eventually purchased by the Debenham group after the Second World War.