Advert for Stockwell Orphanage bazaar
Medium: Print on paper
The Stockwell Orphanage was established in 1867 by the Baptist minister Charles Haddon Spurgeon with money from Mrs Anne Hillyard, the widow of a Church of England clergyman. Spurgeon and Hillyard had been appalled at the housing conditions of the London poor and the lack of moral teaching afforded them. As well as providing a general education, their orphanage placed great emphasis on teaching their charges simple moral values derived from the Gospels. Initially, the orphanage housed only boys, but a girls' wing was opened in 1879. This leaflet advertises a fundraising bazaar for the orphanage and highlights one of the event's sponsors, the South London Press newspaper, which is still in print today.