Advert for the Belleek Pottery Depot
Medium: Print on paper
Belleek is a village in Ireland situated on the banks of the River Erne, between Fermanagh and Donegal. It has been famed for its distinctive china for more than 130 years.
In 1857, John Calderwell Bloomfield and Robert William Armstrong opened a pottery factory in there with the financial backing of David McBirney. They traded under the name of D McBirney & Co. Initially the company limited itself to simple earthenware pieces, but when it began to produce fine porcelain the company became world-renowned. After McBirney's death in 1884, the company was renamed The Belleek Pottery Works. It continues to trade to this day.