Poster for the Olympic Palace music hall
Printer: FFW Oldfield & Co
Medium: Print on paper
The Olympic Theatre originally opened in Wych Street in 1806, but was burnt down in 1849. Rebuilt, it became a popular venue. This poster is advertising 'secured seats' - chairs bolted to the floor and aligned in parallel rows. This type of seating became popular with venue managers in the 1890s, largely replacing the previous format of clusters of circular tables and chairs. Food and drink supplies were moved into separate rooms, and individual entertainments began and ended at rigidly imposed times. These measures were introduced to maximise the number of seats in the hall, but also to stop people walking around while performers were on stage.