Poster advertising Christmas holiday entertainment at the South London Palace
Printer: F. F. W. Oldfield
Medium: Print on paper
Opened in 1860 as the South London Music Hall, this theatre seated up to 4,000 people. It was managed by Henry Speedy and John Poole between 1873 and 1880, and they engineered its change of name. By the end of the 19th century music halls had developed into variety theatres, catering for all classes of society. This playbill advertising the Christmas holiday entertainment is a good example of the range of acts performing on one night.