Poster advertising the Olympic Palace Theatre
Medium: Print on paper
The Olympic Theatre was built in 1806 as a venue for exhibitions and horse shows. The timber in the walls of the venue was culled from the masts of the French sailing ship ‘La Ville de Paris’. When the building burnt down in 1849 the timber stood firm long after the roof fell in. The Olympic was rebuilt and enjoyed its most successful days thereafter, under the management of Madame Veritas, who was also an accomplished and elegant actress. The theatre was demolished for good in 1905 to make way for the construction of Fleet Street.