Shelfmark: Additional MS 15542
This view of the castle near Bothal, a village between Ashington and Morpeth in Northumberland, shows the huge crenallated gatehouse decorated with heraldic crests. The 14th-century castle is perched on a sharp spur, giving it a position of extra strength. It was built by Robert Bertram, who obtained his licence to crenellate in 1343. The gateway is shouldered by two polygonal towers. On the roof there is an embattled parapet where two stone figures stand to frighten off attackers.