Shelfmark: Additional MS 15543
Bywell Castle was built in the early 15th century for Ralph Neville, the second earl of Westmoreland. The castle takes the form of a rectangular embattled tower, which is actually the gatehouse. The gatehouse was intended to be part of a larger set of buildings but it was never completed - King Henry III demanded an end to the building of the castle. The village of Bywell, according to the National Gazetteer of England and Wales (1868), "is pleasantly situated in a wooded district, on the banks of the river Tyne", 13 miles west of Newcastle.