A view of Hexham College in Northumberland. The school was established under the Royal Charter of 1599, due to Hexham Abbey's longstanding connection with York and its Bishops. It did not have its own buildings until the late 17th century, when this brick building was built. At the time Grimm made this drawing, the college was thought to be in decline. The governors wrote to the Archbishop of York, complaining that Mr Bushby, the headmaster, "from his Warmth of Temper frequently corrects too severely." The decline continued into the 19th century: by 1892, there were only 30 pupils in attendance. This building was sold in 1902, and the school moved to nearby Fellside, admitting girls for the first time.