View of Bamburgh (or Bamborough) Castle, situated dramatically on a cliff top on the North Coast in Northumberland. Here can be seen the Norman square keep and a round tower, which was probably part of the castle walls. There was previously an Anglo-Saxon fort on the site, but the Normans built the stone building that is now recognisable as the castle. Although the castle was besieged many times, for centuries it remained uncaptured until the Wars of the Roses (1453-1486). From the late 16th century until the mid-18th century the castle belonged to the Forster family, but upon their bankruptcy it was sold off to the Bishop of Durham, Lord Crewe.