The Exchange (or Guildhall), Newcastle
Shelfmark: Additional MS 15543
A view in ink of the front of the Exchange (or Guildhall) in Newcastle in Northumberland (now in Tyne and Wear). In the 16th century, Newcastle had become one of England's most prosperous towns, with burgeoning textile and coalmining industries, and easy access to imported goods via the Tyne. The building was essentially the centre of the town's financial district, turning its back to the river at the east end of Sandhill.
The earliest reference to a Guildhall here is in 1400. Grimm shows the building as it was remodelled between 1655 and 1660 by Robert Trollope, a York man responsible for several major Northumberland buildings. The Guildhall demonstrates the architect's taste for a quirky mix of Classical and Gothic elements. Trollope's memorial in Gateshead churchyard reputedly had a figure of him pointing across the river to his creation with the memorable words:
'Here lies Robert Trollope
Who made these stones roll up
When death took his soul up,
His body filled this hole up.'
The Guildhall was re-cased in a more prosaic neo-Classical style in the 1790s, but much of Trollope's interior survives.