A drawing in ink of the western extremity of the south side of the nave of Tynemouth Priory in Northumberland. The priory church occupied the site of a 7th century wood-and-stone Saxon church, built around the burial place of St Oswin. The site was plundered and burnt several times by the Vikings. It was frequently rebuilt, being granted to the Benedictine monks of Yarrow in 1074, and annexed to Durham abbey. During the reign of William Rufus, the Earl of Northumberland Robert de Mowbray repopulated the priory with monks from St Alban's, and Tynemouth became a cell of that abbey until the Dissolution. This nave dates from the Norman period, and was greatly enlarged during the mid-13th century.