Ivo of Chartres (1040-1116) taught at the renowned cathedral school of Chartres, where he was known as one of the best teachers in Europe. Among his influential writings, his collections of ancient canons or canon laws represented advances in organising laws and providing new rules for solving old legal problems in a time when law was not clearly defined as an area separate from theology. This manuscript is a copy of his most widely distributed legal collection, called the 'Pannormia', which belonged to Newburgh Priory. A list of the chapters and their contents begins this page. The large coloured letter 'C' in the second column begins the book itself, as identified by the heading above it, which originally would have been written in red ink but has now changed to a greyish colour. The book begins with a 'Creed', a statement of Christian belief in the trinity, highlighting the theological context in which law was written, interpreted and enforced in the middle ages. The decoration of the letter is conservative, looking back to the conventional decoration and colours of the 12th century.