This volume contains a chronicle, and several works composed by John of Wallingford, written in his own handwriting. He became a monk of Wallingford (between Oxford and Reading) in 1231, moved to St. Albans in 1246/7 where he was in charge of the infirmary, and moved again c.1257 to Wymondham, a cell of St. Albans, where he died in 1258. Parts of the manuscript were written and illustrated while he was at St. Albans, but other parts date to the final year of his life, when he was at Wymondham, a few miles south-west of Norwich. In 1255 King Louis IX of France gave King Henry III of England a live elephant, which he kept in the Tower of London (until it died of the cold). A much-reproduced drawing of it was made by Matthew Paris, the famous St. Albans artist, monk, and chronicler (d.1259). This drawing seems to be a copy, by John, of Matthew's drawing.