Founding of Rievaulx, in William of Newburgh, 'History of the Affairs of the English'
Medium: Ink and pigments on vellum
Osney was the site of an important Augustinian priory, a community of priests who followed the rule of monastic life (Austin canons regular). Founded in 1122, the priory became a highly regarded school for theologians and influenced the development of the university at Oxford. This manuscript, which originally belonged to Osney abbey, has a copy of the 'History of the Affairs of the English' ('Historia Rerum Anglicarum') by William of Newburgh (1136-1198). William wrote history in the tradition of Bede. He tried to connect events and evaluate the characters and actions that brought them about but avoided filling out a narrative with legends like his contemporary Geoffrey of Monmouth, of whom he was scathingly critical. His 'History' covers the reigns of English kings from William the Conqueror to Richard the Lionheart, 1066 to 1198.
Coverage of a relatively short time span was one of the advantages William's 'History' held over its contemporaries, which usually began with the Creation or the early, mythic British kings. On this page he gives an account of the founding of the Cistercian monastery of Rievaulx, by a mission sent by Bernard of Clarvaux and on land given by Walter Espec. This is followed by the founding of Byland (Belleland) abbey. The note in the margin gives dates (1132-1134) for the early days of Rievaulx.