History of St Bartholomew's f.18v
Medium: Ink and pigments on vellum
One of the oldest churches in London, St Bartholomew's church and priory of Augustinian canons were founded by Rahere in 1123 in West Smithfield. Following the order's tradition of giving hospitality to travellers and tending the sick, the brothers of St Bartholomew's provided an important hospital in medieval London. This manuscript contains a collection of documents, in Latin and Middle English, on its foundation and history.
The first section of the history closes with the death of Rahere and accounts of his miracles, and the second opens with the building of a tomb for the saintly founder. An effigy of Rahere remains in St Bartholomew's church even though the priory was dissolved in the 16th century.