History of St Bartholomew's f.41r
Medium: Ink and pigments on vellum
One of the oldest churches in London, St Bartholomew's church and priory of Augustinian canons were founded by Rahere in 1123 in West Smithfield. Following the order's tradition of giving hospitality to travellers and tending the sick, the brothers of St Bartholomew's provided an important hospital in medieval London. This manuscript contains a collection of documents, in Latin and Middle English, on its foundation and history.
The first page of the Middle English translation of the priory's history begins with praise of the priory's benefactors and asks the blessing of St Bartholomew and God for the "holey placys callyd the priory of Seynt Bartholyu Smythfyls and of the hospital."