Founded as a monastery in the 7th century, Winchester Cathedral became known as the 'Old Minster' in the 10th century, following the establishment of a 'New Minster'. With its increasing prestige, it received additional lands throughout the middle ages. The 'Codex Wintoniensis,' probably compiled under Henry of Blois, bishop of Winchester (1129-1171), is a collection of the Old Minster's Anglo-Saxon charters (a 'cartulary'), considered the best from an early medieval British religious house. The charters date from the reign of Ceadwalla of Wessex, AD 688, up to Edward the Confessor, AD 1046, plus a few of the later 11th and 12th centuries. Henry probably had it made to establish the Old Minster's property rights when King Stephen, his brother, was pressing for support from the Church. This page presents a charter of King Cnut (1016-1035) to Earl Godwine granting him land at Poolhampton in Overton, Hampshire.