An illuminator of uncertain origin, who decorated a manuscript of the works of Julius Caesar and is therefore known to art historians as the 'Caesar Master', was the artist of this Book of Hours. Several manuscripts decorated by the artist have been identified: they allow us to deduce that he worked in the middle decades of the 15th century, for clients associated mainly with London and Oxford. An inscription suggests that by 1475 this manuscript was owned by John Alburgh (probably from Alburgh, between Harleston in Norfolk, and Bungay in Suffolk) or one of his close friends or relations. Almost every feature of this page is un-English: the border style, the placement of the miniature with text above and below, the human-faced flower in the illuminated initial, the subject of the miniature, and the use of 'speech-scrolls'. The script the liturgical 'Use' are both English, however.