A colophon records that this Bible was written in 1254 by William of Hales (perhaps from Hailes, in Gloucestershire?) for Thomas de la Wile, who had been called by the chancellor of Salisbury to be in charge of the Salisbury schools. The text was copied from a 12th-century Bible still in Salisbury cathedral library. In the mid 13th century the city was an important centre of scholarship, and a number of fine illuminated manuscripts (probably produced there) can be attributed to the artist of the present manuscript, the so-called 'Sarum Master'. At the very end of the text is the colophon: 'Hunc librum scripsit Willelmus de Hales. Magistro Thome de la Wile. quem uocauit magister Radulfus de Hehham tunc cancellarius Sarisburiensis ad regimen scolarum Sarisburiensium quibus deus in hoc seculo & in futuro propicietur amen. Factus fuit liber anno M.cc.l.quarto. Ab incarnatione domini'