Cassiodorus Senator (c.490-583) was a Roman statesman and writer, who, after retiring, became a monk at the monastery of Vivarium, which he founded on his own land, in emulation of the monastery of Monte Cassino, founded some years earlier by St. Benedict. At the end of his public career his letters were collected and published, and they circulated in the Middle Ages in manuscripts such as this, despite the fact that modern critics have tended to see little value in them, stating, for example, that 'pompous digressions . . . form the basis of these compositions'. This manuscript was at the Convent of Austin Friars, York, by the 14th century. An erased inscription in the upper margin of the first page has been read with an ultra-violet lamp to reveal the name of John Erghom, a York Austin Friar (c.1353-86). The page-layout is notable for its very wide fore-edge and lower margins.