A cornerstone of biblical study in medieval monasteries were various commentaries on, and interpretations of, the books of the Bible. A standard gloss was developed in the 12th century, which continued to be copied in the 13th century and beyond. The present manuscript is such a manuscript, owned by the Cistercian abbey of Jervaulx by the late Middle Ages. Its luxurious high quality production suggests, however, that it was not made at the abbey, because Cistercian rules forbade such opulence. In the top right-hand corner of this first page of the text is the ownership inscription of Jervaulx: 'Liber dom(us) Jorevall(ensis)'. In the lower margin is an inscription indicating the subsequent ownership by John, Lord Lumley (d. 1609). In the lower left-hand corner an early reader has noted that the first preface to the text is absent.