This manuscript was written in at least three different stages: the oldest part is early 12th century; later in the century the second part was written straight on from the first; and three further texts in French were added in the 13th century, the first of which is Wace's 'Roman de Rou': a chronicle of the dukes of Normandy which contains a famous description of the Battle of Hastings. This manuscript was owned by Battle Abbey, built at the site of the battle, about seven miles from the town of Hastings. The manuscript has an ownership inscription and press-mark of the Abbey. Following on from two other Latin prose texts written in stages in the 12th century is this 13th-century text in French verse. The initial 'P' is of typical north French and English design of the decades around 1200, but unusual in being uncoloured.