Psalm 97 (98), in the St.-Omer Psalter
Medium: Ink and pigments on vellum
Probably first commissioned by a knight of the St Omer family of Mulbarton, Norfolk, c.1325, this psalter was decorated in two campaigns about seventy years apart. The original artists finished the paintings but only part of the decoration. In the early 15th century another artist finished most of it, resulting in combinations of 14th- and 15th-century styles on some pages. The 14th-century artists had left drawings for some of the decoration, which the later artist followed. Where there were no pre-existing drawings, the 15th-century artist modified the general system of the earlier designs and painted single figures or plants in the areas where the earlier artist would have put diminutive story-telling scenes. Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, owned the manuscript in the 15th century and probably had the later work done. Modifying, updating or finishing a manuscript's decoration many years later was not at all uncommon at any period in the middle ages, rather like redecorating or remodelling a house.
The first letter of Psalm 97 / 98 ("Sing to the Lord a new song") bears a picture of a group of chanting clerics before a bookstand holding a choirbook. Entirely the work of the 15th-century artist, the page also has the over-sized flower and leaf designs which appear in nearly all the 15th-century borders in the manuscript.